About this idea
AFIS Cyprus is a Non-Profit Organization that was founded on the initiative of the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI), aiming at the collection and management of Portable Electric Strips (PES or batteries).
Shareholders and members of the Organization are battery importing companies which are responsible, under the legislation, to manage the batteries that they sell in an environmentally friendly way. Responsible for the management of batteries are also companies which import devices with embedded batteries (rechargeable or disposable).
Since the creation of the organisation in 2009, there were collected for recycling more than 430.000 kg of batteries, presenting stable increase each year. Today, there are more than 4.500 bins across the island, whose number is also being increased each year.
AFIS Cyprus mission is to create a simple and effective model of operation that achieves:
- High participation of the battery producers in the System
- Efficient network for the collection of batteries to serve the citizens and encourage participation
- Clear and effective communication
- Achievement of national targets for treating batteries with correct environmental processes
- Operation with the lowest possible costs